It is an established fact that wrist injuries and fractures are one of the most common injuries that roller skaters face, predominantly, in those skaters who do not wear appropriate hand gear, when falling on their hands.
This guide aims to introduce you to some of the best wrist protection gear available in the market, along with some tips and considerations that you need to bear in mind when finalizing your skating gloves.
Best 10 Roller Skate Gloves
Here we have shortlisted the top 10 roller skate gloves for your review and consideration. Let us consider the features, functionality and their pros and cons, so you can eventually make an informed decision.
LOSENKA Skateboard Gloves with Sliders
- These skateboarding gloves come in a unique design and are made from microfiber leather. The leather construction gives it durability which is much needed when you make those all-important brakes and drifts or perform those dance moves. The palm support provides great balance to the whole body and is particularly helpful in difficult braking actions.
- They have adjustable strap on the wrist area. The texture is firm and prevents the gloves from slipping off during skateboarding and hence protecting your palms throughout the process.
- They are wear-resistant – thanks to the circular slider design, which is easy on the hands, especially during slides. This also helps with greater control during sliding. The glove’s back is constructed from silicone which provides efficient shock absorption.
- They are breathable which is primarily due to the mesh hole design. The finger and palm regions are constructed from granular matte fabric, providing excellent ventilation and protection during those intense and sweaty sessions.
Gtopart 50g Kids Full Long Finger Roller Skating Gloves
- These kids’ roller-skating gloves are light weight (only 50g), breathable and super comfortable.
- Its fingertips (middle 3 fingers) are constructed from silicon and has Velcro under wrist, along with adjustable length for ease of fit and comfort.
- The gloves are made from high-quality neoprene material and the palm region has thick microfiber padding, with breathable mesh material.
- The fingers are well protected with plastic material which ensures they do not slip and are always wearable during skating.
- They are ideal for kids intending to do riding, cycling, roller skating, hiking, climbing, camping and related outdoor activities, whilst ensuring complete hand protection for kids.
- They are available in multiple sizes so it can be an option for a variety of kids with different hand sizes, ranging from 3-10 years old.
Hillbilly Wrist Guard Gloves – Half Finger
- Hillbilly Half Finger Gloves are available in fresh and improved design affording it optimized durability. They are constructed from goatskin and have a double stitching as well with sturdy nylon thread.
- The half-length fingers are conveniently designed to allow you to perform all the routine chores whilst skating.
- The stiff wrist guard feature covers the wrist and palm region and can hold items such as remotes.
- The solid plastic piece affords protection against falls (in front) and scratches. It minimizes the risk of wrist flexing in unnatural way. These gears are meant to be the last line of protection for the skaters and should not be completely relied upon for safety from injury, fall or trip.
- There is, however, a considerable gap between the guard and wrist, which you do not see in traditional guards. This does not compromise the comfort of these gloves though.
- The wrist guards are heavy duty and have reasonable size so as not to obstruct your view or range of motion.
BIKINGMOREOK Kids Roller Skating Gloves
- These gloves have shock-absorbing feature specifically designed with kids in mind. The 5mm liquid-floating cushion is thick enough to absorb harsh impacts which is complemented by SBR padding. It is high strength and shatter proof, which makes the skating experience relaxed and easy for kids.
- The construction of the gloves is from breathable and high elastic fabric (lycraspandex). The knitted mesh fabric provides comfort and ventilation and makes them ideal for summer wear. The palm region has anti-slip suede adding durability to the gloves for daily use and tighter grip.
- Two finger loops make them easy to wear, which can be pulled off easily too. It has a widened Velcro and elastic fabric patch on the wrist region for added tightness and comfortable fit.
- Sweat-wipe towel cloth is included which acts as a moisture-wick.
Andux Gloves Extended Protection Roller Skating
- The Andux gloves have adjustable hook & loop closure which makes them easy to wear or take off.
- The gloves are solid and have reasonable flexibility, which are available in varying sizes to cater to all kinds of wearers.
- It is suitable for all kinds of intensive sports such as Ice Skating, Roller Skating, Snowboarding, Skateboarding, Skiing et al.
- The shock-absorbing material takes the shape of the hand and prevent any bruising on the hands. The wrist provides adequate cushioning and protection.
- The only downside is that the product can feel hard when worn for certain individuals and tighter on the wrist region. Some people also raised the concern that the back of the hand is hard (very tough plastic splint) and may hurt the hand if it lands in a bad position or angle.
Seibertron S.O.L.A.G 1/2 Finger / Fingerless / Half Finger
- These Seibertron gloves are primarily made from Synthetic Leather, Polyester and Nylon.
- These fabrics give the gloves added durability and make them easy to wear due to their light weight.
- They have superb functionality due to the adjustable wrist straps, which provides the wearer with flexibility in movement and tighter grip. They are super easy to wear or take off.
- They can be easily washed in machine or with hand, depending on your convenience, and dry up in no time.
CTHOPER Impact Wrist Guard, Brace & Support
- These CTHOPER gloves have sturdy protection pads and is meant to provide comprehensive protection to your hands and wrists. It is also pain relieving and reduces swelling on palms due to constant usage. It can be worn comfortably by both men and women.
- The straps are adjustable for a customized fitting and allows full range of movement in both hands (thumbs and fingers).
- The Velcro closure straps are thoughtfully manufactured to allow for an adjustable and comfortable wrist wraps and fitting.
- It Is ideal for all age ranges such as kids, youth and adult and the sizes can be easily chosen as per the size chart.
- They can be suitably used for all kinds of different sports such as Ice Skating, Roller Skating, Snowboarding, Skateboarding, Skiing, Motocross, Supermoto, Street Racing, Mountain Biking and Rope Climbing.
Triple Eight Hired Hands Skateboarding Wrist Guard Gloves
- The Triple Eight Hired Hands Skateboarding Wrist Guard Gloves are Triple 8’s burliest glove, with complete wrist protection coupled with the secure fit and coverage of a glove.
- Hired Hands feature top grain leather and full padding for maximum protection. These wrist guard gloves include impact-resistant ABS splints located on the top and bottom for wrist protection, stability and support. The wrist splints are easy to remove and replace, and EVA shock-absorbing foam layers with double stitching add durability.
- They feature thick neoprene support strap which has adjustable hook and loop closures. This makes for a secured fit and built-in pull-on loop which makes it easy and convenient to put them on and take them off.
- These gloves are ideal for skateboarding, rollerblading, roller derby and skating. These pro-level protective gear gloves are designed for rough and tough use.
- These wrist guard gloves can be bought in 4 sizes which can fit kids, youth, and adults alike.
YOGOGO Skateboard Protective Gloves
- The YOGOGO gloves are longboard downhill slide gloves that comes with Velcro, metal buckle and polyester fiber wrist protection.
- They are made from durable synthetic leather and have adjustable wrist wrap settings which can be tightened or loosened at will.
- These gloves are available in multiple colors to suit your taste: red, black, pink and yellow.
- They are ideal for rollerblading, skateboarding and other related extreme sports.
Figure Skating Gloves with Gel Palm Protection
- These gloves are designed specifically for figure skaters. They have rhinestone decorations on them if you intend to use them for competitive purposes, or the plain design types, for routine practices.
- The wrist region has a protective gel infused which drastically reduces the chances of wrist injury.
- The gloves are stretchable and should only be hand-washed for durability and longevity. These gloves are ideal and deemed as the best choice for figure skaters.
There are wide variety of sizes available – children of all sizes to adults with small and large hands.
Roller Skate Gloves Considerations
Before you make that all important purchase, always cause and ensure that you keep some key consideration on the forefront of your mind. Let us look at them in detail.
Roller skating gloves are made up of multiple materials (either in combination or whole). These include fabric, calfskin, latex, elastic, goatskin leather, and so on. You are looking for a material that is durable and long-lasting. You also want something that will be suitable for all weather types. For example, for hotter conditions, you would be better off choosing something that is lightweight and breathable. Conversely, colder conditions would require thicker material for better protection and coverage.
If you prefer something hard that affords more protection, then look for hard foam, carbon fiber, or even metal. However, with these materials, you need to be prepared to have sweatier hands and less flexibility.
Wrist guards or palm guards are basically gloving which have extra or added wrist support. They are commonly used for activities such as skateboarding or longboarding and have added padding on both sides of “splints” within them, to protect you from fractures, cuts, sprains and related injuries.
They are constructed from harder material, which deflect energy from forearm and palm (rather than the wrist). This harder surface causes sliding motion which reduces burden on the hand or wrist. They are available in full, half or finger-less options.
You want value for your money and need to avoid the temptation to go for the cheapest product you could find. Generally, the decent quality or basic functionality gloves will cost you in the range of $20-$60.
The more renowned the brand is and better the functionalities, the more you should be prepared to pay. Durability and flexibility (over and above the standard) will certainly raise the price tag for gloves.
If you are a novice, it is better to invest more and get more protection, as the risk of injury would be higher when you are starting off.
A lot of wrist guards and gloves can be used for multiple activities such as skateboarding, inline skating, roller derby, and even snowboarding to name a few. That is how they are designed to generically cover most of the spots or activities.
Having said that, every manufacturer places a lot of detailing and attention into their specific designs and it is important to know what they are and the usefulness they offer to you in specific, in the context of roller skating.
The differences will usually be in palm splint and lengths. The level of protection will vary from one pair to the other and you will be the best judge as to which design suits you and your intended activity.
The amount of wrist movement you need when you wear the pair and start skating is precisely what flexibility is.
Any pair of gloves should afford you a minimum level of flexibility and should never be too tight or rigid when worn. They should feel comfortable and that is what you need to establish.
There can be multiple straps on the gloves for flexibility and comfort and that is also an important consideration to keep in mind.
Flexibility is linked to choosing and measuring the right size of gloves for your hands.
Amongst the variety of skating gloves that we reviewed above, we want to personally recommend couple of those specifically for aggressive roller skaters and speed roller skaters each.
Aggressive Roller Skating
‘LOSENKA Skateboard Gloves with Sliders’ is recommended for those who intend to indulge in aggressive or rough and tough mode of roller skating. Thanks to its circular slider design which helps the hand to move freely and easily whilst sliding. The back of the gloves has silicone padding which is super effective to absorb shocks during a high intensity skating experience.
These gloves are also anti-friction which is indispensable for the skater whilst making every break, turn, or race. These gloves are all about affording the skaters the true and adrenaline rush of skating – slide, drift, and speed.
Speed Roller Skating
‘Hillbilly Wrist Guard Gloves – Half Finger’ has a new and improved design to afford it added durability. It is double stitched with heavy duty nylon thread which affords the skater excellent fit and comfort during those high-octane roller-skating competitions or drills. The half-length finger design is easy to wear and convenient and allows the skaters to do their routine chores with their hands, without the hassle of taking them on and off during those fast-paced skating sessions.
Roller skating can guarantee you tons of fun and excitement, but this experience inherently carries with it the risk of injuries.
Always make a checklist of key considerations (in mind or in writing) as we have narrated above, before you opt for a pair of gloves – style is important, but durability, flexibility, fit and price are bigger aspects to consider.